Today in White Sox History: October 26

(Chicago Tribune)

1931 — Sox founder and owner Charles Comiskey died in his home in Eagle River, Wis. He left his entire estate to his son J. Louis Comiskey, including the White Sox. His estate was valued at more than $1.5 million dollars at the time., the equivalent of $17 million today.

1993 — White Sox manager Gene Lamont, who guided the team to its first postseason appearance in 10 years, was named American League Manager of the Year by the Baseball Writers Association of America (BBWAA). Lamont would beat out Buck Showalter of the Yankees for the honor. Lamont got 72 total points to Showalter’s 63. Lamont picked up eight first place votes to seven for Showalter.

1994 — Even though his quest for the Triple Crown was cut short by the labor impasse shutting down baseball six weeks early, Frank Thomas still did enough to garner his second straight MVP award from the BBWAA. Thomas outdistanced future Sox outfielder Ken Griffey Jr. and future teammate Albert Belle, finishing with 24 first place votes out of a possible 28. He ended up with 372 points to Griffey’s 233 and Belle’s 225.

In 113 games, Thomas hit .353 with 38 home runs, 101 RBIs, 106 runs and 109 walks. With the award, Thomas became the first back-to-back AL winner since Roger Maris in 1960 and 1961.

2005 — On this night in Houston, the Sox became World Series champions for the first time since 1917. Freddy Garcia and three relief pitchers shut out the Astros on five hits, 1-0, sweeping the best-of-seven series in four games. The Sox shut out Houston for the final 15 innings of Series play.

Outfielder Jermaine Dye drove in the game’s only run and was named the World Series MVP. The South Side exploded in an orgy of delight, as fans celebrated all over the area.

“stockyard workers … “

8 thoughts on “Today in White Sox History: October 26

  1. I sat in Moody’s Restaurant on N. Broadway with a friend watching the game. I called my dad and my nephew after every hi-light. The game ended, and Moody’s was closing, so we walked up a block to a tavern, and proceeded to get sloshed on a school night. Walked home, and the north side streets were dead. I watched the local news to see happy people.


    1. I sat alone on the couch in my Tel-Aviv apartment, watching, having rewired the house so the lights from the screen wouldn’t wake my wife. I had napped from 10:30 PM till 2:30 AM to make sure I wouldn’t doze off like in the previous extra-inning game. With the final out, after 20+ years of mostly suffering, often long-distance fandom, I wanted to scream out loud – but the wife and kids were asleep. And then the phone rang – it was my cousin from Philadelphia and his first words were: I know you’re awake even though it’s the middle of the night over there. CONGRATULATIONS – the wait is over!!!

      Let’s do it again


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s